Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'm Thankful

First off, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

But honestly, I think a lot of the time we overlook the meaning of this holiday.  It's not just the day before Black Friday or about a month before Christmas.  It's not about pigging out on tons of delicious food.  It's about being thankful for what we have.

Not what we want to have.  Let me explain.

In this day and time, Thanksgiving often gets overlooked.  Partly because Christmas is more of an "exciting" holiday.  I mean, who wants to spend time eating food and talking with boring relatives about how thankful we are.  When in actuality, most of us want more. Actually, all of us want more.  It's human nature.  And at Christmas, so much more excitement happens.  Decorating the house.  Buying special presents for people you care about.  Celebrating Jesus's birth.  With all of this excitement just a month away, it's easy to forget about a simple little holiday at a time where many of us are busy with school or work and are just trying to survive until Christmas break.

And who can forget Black Friday?  Don't get me wrong, I like Black Friday; it's a lot of fun.  I just wish that it wasn't the day after Thanksgiving.  Only in America, people literally trample others for things that they're convinced they need, mere hours after being thankful for what they already have.

It's hard for everyone to not get swept away in the Christmas rush and just forget about this holiday.  It's not big.  It's not widely anticipated.  But is it important?  Yes.  Because everything - commercials, advertisements, magazines - is trying to convince us that we need more than we already have.  We just need to slow down and take the time just to remember that we're so fortunate to have what we have, because we are.  Chances are, if you're reading this you have a phone/computer and internet access.  That's more than half the world has.

I wanted to take time to say that I'm thankful for what I have.  A lot of times, it's easy to forget that God has blessed me and my family.  I'm thankful for my house, my wonderful yet sometimes annoying family, and all of my great friends.  Sometimes life is hard and you think nothing good has happened to you.  But although not every day is good, there's something good in every day.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.




Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment